An Approach to Zen Temples in Kamakura (SEA007)
Kamakura is a former capital and one of the most beautiful cities in Japan. It is surrounded by slightly elevated hills and long sandy beaches. It is also a harmonized city of traditional culture of Zen Buddhism and the tea ceremony and modern culture such as cafes and confectionery shops.
How about visiting historic sites interspersed in Kamakura
and beautiful townscape that has long been protected by national trust and local laws. This program is supported by a tour guide with a thorough knowledge of Kamakura.
Price per person
15,300 yen for 1 person
10,200 yen for 2 persons
8,500 yen for 3 persons
7,700 yen for 4 persons
Kids （age 6-11）: 3,100 yen
- Tour Style
- This is a short trip program.
- Some programs are not conducted on daily basis. Please ask us for availability first.
- Programs are offered in English, but other languages may be available. Please ask us for your desired language.
Meet at the entrance of Engakuji Temple - nearby Kita Kamakura station (North Kamakura Station)
- Group Size
- 1~4 persons *Please ask us if your groups is 5 persons or more.
- 3 hours
- Tour Itinerary
- (1) 9:30 start
(2) 13:00 start
Kamakura Station West Exit→Engakuji→Meigetsuin→Tokeiji→Kamakura Station
Engakuji is ranked second among Kamakura’s Five Mountains.
From the entrance, all the major buildings were built in a straight line. Great Bell is a national treasure. After worshiping the main object at the main hall, you can enjoy nice scenery from the pricincts of Ryuinan located on a small hill and of Hojo (ten feet)
Garden. There is an 800-year old Zen Meditation Hall near a shariden, reliquary hall. This hall still plays an importance functional role to keep healing people’s mind.
Meigetsuin is known as a flower temple. You can view from a round window of a tatami mat room in the main temple a Japanese garden with rocks and sand called karesansui.
The round shape of the window is said to indicate a state of enlightenment of Zen. The garden of karesansui made only of rocks and sand was originally built as a place for training. Also their well is chosen as one of the ten best wells of Kamakura. The sound of dipping water from a well bucket is very soothing. Minute beauty of Japan is felt by flowers arranged in vases located in many places in the precincts.
In Edo era, women were not allowed to get divorced. Japan’s feudal government approved only this convent as a place for women to take shelter and get divorced. This temple stores documents showing long histories of endurance, sorrow, and torments.
The following items are on display:
Gold-sprinkled lacquerware, paintings, calligraphic works, ancient documents
A worldly famous Daisetsu Suzuki’s grave is located in the precincts. He wrote a book titled Zen and Japanese Culture.
- What's Included
- ・Guiding fee
・Travel expenses during the tour. (For taxis or hired cars, additional fee will be charged.)
- What's not Included
- Lunch, beverages,Travel expenses to the meeting place, Sightseeing activities
- Tour Tips
- Booking process
1. Please ask us for availability through ‘contact us’ form and make sure to write the number of participants, date, and time .
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 2 business days.
3. Payment request will be sent via Paypal.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Program fees shall be paid through Paypal. Currently, no other payment method is accepted.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 15 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 14 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 14 days and 3 days: 20% of the program charge
- 2 days in advance: 50% of the program charge
- Less than a day or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time is in JST.
- Please follow the guide's instruction during the program. We shall not be responsible for any accident caused by disregard of the instructions.
- Program duration is an estimate and is subject to change depending on the number of participants and/or conditions without prior notice.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.
- Deadline for booking a program is 5 business days prior to the program date.
Hakone Area Whole Day Private Tour（SEA003）
Travel out of Tokyo on a luxury train to the ...
Visit the Great Buddha and Temples in Kamakur...
See the world-famous Great Buddha, which is a...
Southeast Kamakura walking a half day tour wi...
Kamakura is one of the most attractive touris...
Visiting Yokohama Port and Shopping District ...
Meet at Exit of JR Keihintohoku line Sakuragi...
Zen Garden and Tea Ceremony experience in Kam...
Visit zen gardens and a tea ceremony room in ...