Learn about Arita ware - Japanese Ceramics in Saga
IntroductionIn this tour, a local guide will take you to various kinds of pottery related spots in Saga to learn about the A to Z of famous Japanese ceramics.
Saga prefecture is located in Kyusyu and is easily accessible from Hakata, Fukuoka.
Saga is famous for ceramics, such as Arita ware, Imari ware, and Karatsu ware, as well as sake, namely Nebeshima, which was selected as the best Sake in a 2011 competition.
Arita is a historical and attractive small town, famous for Arita/Imari ceramics. In 2016, Arita is celebrating 400th anniversary year of the birth of ceramics in Japan. This is an excellent time to visit famous historical pottery workshops, find out the great history of ceramics, and enjoy a beautiful piece of scenery.
(Photo courtesy Saga Prefectural Tourism Federation)
10:00am: Meet with a guide at Arita station and start sightseeing by rental cycle
10:10am: Visit Ceramics museum
- Very unique museum specialised in exhibiting ceramics. You can learn the history of porcelain and have a chance to see many authentic porcelain works.
11:20am: Visit pottery maker
- We will visit there and learn the process of making 'Arita-ware' by seeing artisans' work'. Souvenir items are also available.
- Guide's recommendation
1:10pm: Visit an unique moat which is the symbol of Arita
- We will visit an old kiln area, where the kilns were installed and played a central role in medieval days. This wall is something like ruins, and it is becoming a symbol of Arita town.
1:30pm: Enjoy an exclusive temple in Arita and a show exhibiting toys made in porcelain.
- Porcelain doll's performance show will welcome you.
- This shrine is blessed with many porcelain objects, like a porcelain gate and porcelain guardian dogs. Good luck charms are made of porcelain as well here. It is a very unique shrine.
3:00pm: End of tour at Arita station
◆Pricing per person
1 person: 36,300 yen
2 persons: 18,800 yen
3 persons: 13,000 yen
4 persons: 10,000 yen
Private tour that involves cycling.
*Transfer by Taxi is available at an additional fee
Group SizeMin. 1 person
Max. 4 persons
*Please inquire us if the number of the participants is over 5 persons.
What's Included- Guiding fee
- Admission fee
- Rental fee of bicycle
* In case of rain, there will be changes to the walking tour (use public transport)
What's not Included- Lunch fee
- Transportation fee
- Hotel pick up and drop off
*In that case, Taxi fare is necessary for aprrox. 2,500 yen
Tour TipsBooking process
1. Please contact us for availability through ‘BOOK IT’ button below.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 1 business day.
3. Payment request will be sent.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Fees shall be paid through Credit Card. Currently no other payment method is accepted.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 15 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 14 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 14 days and 8 days: 20% of the program charge
- Between 7 days and 2 days: 30% of the program charge
- The day before the date of travel: 50% of the program charge
- Less than a day or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time is in JST.