Visit the oldest school of Japan and historical sites in Ashikaga city from Tokyo
IntroductionAshikaga City is known for having the oldest school, namely Ashikaga school, in Japan.
This Ashikaga school has been certified as a Japan heritage, and there are a plenty of historic sites in the city, such as Banna-ji temple holding a national treasure and Tokuzo-ji temple dedicated to 500 Rakan Buddha statues.
What is an ashikaga school?
It is Japan's oldest school which was introduced to the world as 'Ashikaga School was the largest and most famous university of eastern Japan' by Francisco Xavier, the founder of the Jesuits.
Regarding the establishment of the Ashikaga School, the record is unknown, but since the centuries ago we have continued to disseminate academic disciplines centered on the teachings of Confucianism, and the Ashikaga school continued as a center of Confucianism and academics to educate nurturing minds that respect Japanese morals and courtesies. It is said that students who gathered from various places continued learning until they were fully satisfied under the frees school environment. The importance of continuing learning in the spirit of self-study is becoming the starting point of modern school education.
The existence of the Ashikaga school has become a driving force for obtaining high educational standards from the former rulers to many commoners, from reading and writing and arithmetic to manners.
Other charms of Ashikaga City:
- Tokuzo-ji temple: 500 Rakan Buddha status rarely found nationwide are enshrined and its appearance is stunning.
- Banna-ji temple: One of the highlights is the beauty of the autumnal leaves coloring the large Icho tree aged 600 years and there is a main temple designated as a national treasure that has historical value.
- Matsumura Museum of Art (Closed on Tuesdays): There are many valuable exhibits in this wooden old private house built nearly 100 years ago, such as the original Prime Minister's letters and autographs. In addition, the furniture, interior, room design, and the art work of then are nicely preserved, which gives us an idea of the living style of the large landowner at that time intact.
- Coco Farm & Winery: It is one of the few winery in Japan and was built in 1980. They purchase raw grapes and shiitake mushrooms from a disabled facility called Kokoromi Gakuen school and process them for wine and sell them. One of their wine brands ''NOVO' was selected and served at the Kyushu-Okinawa summit to prime ministers and presidents of counties participated, followed by red wine ‘Kaze-no-rouge' at the Hokkaido Toyako Summit.
- Ashikaga Flower Park: The largest wisteria garden in Japan with more than 350 wisteria trees in a park with a size of 92,000 square meters. Flowers of different varieties bloom beautifully every season. It is also chosen as CNN's "9 destinations of world dreams in 2014" and the beauty of illumination is also fantastic as the popularity soaring.
Price per person:
40,700 yen for 1 person
21,200 yen for 2 persons
14,700 yen for 3 persons
11,400 yen for 4 persons
9,500 yen for 5 persons
8,100 yen for 6 persons or more
Tour Style- Private tour with rental E-bike (Electric assist bike)
- Program offered in English
Meeting Place Meet with your English-speaking tour assistant at the lobby of the hotel in Tokyo 23 wards
Group SizeMin. 1 person
Max. 8 persons
Tour ItinerarySample itinerary:
8:00-10:03 Hotel pick up from English-speaking tour assistant, go to Ashikaga city
10:30-11:10 Rent E-bike and visit Tokuzo-ji temple
11:30-12:20 Ashikaga school (Closed on the third Mondays)
1:10-2:00 Banna-ji temple
2:10-3:00 Matsumura Museum of Art (Closed on Tuesdays)
3:00 return E-bike
5:00 Tour end at your hotel or station in Tokyo
*Train and E-bike tour
*Option: Coco Farm & Winery, Ashikaga Flower Park
What's Included- English-speaking tour assistant
- Hotel pick-up
- Bicycle rental
What’s not included:- Lunch fee
- transportation fee in the tour
- Other admission fee - Admission fee (Ashikaga school 420 yen/person, Matsumura Museum of Art 300 yen/person, Coco Farm & Winery 500 yen/person *Included wine tasting, Ashikaga Flower Park *admission fees as they may vary depending on the condition of the flowers and season) - Taxi/train fare for Coco Farm & Winery or Ashikaga Flower Park option
Tour Tips:Booking process
1. Please contact us for availability through ‘BOOK IT’ button below.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 1 business day.
3. Payment request will be sent.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Fees shall be paid through Credit Card. Currently no other payment method is accepted.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 9 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 8 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 8 days and 3 days: 50% of the program charge
- 2 day before or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time is in JST.