1-Day Matsushima and Shiogama Unique Cultural Experience Tour
Matsushima has had a long history as a sightseeing spot due to its beautiful landscape; however, this place is also known as a historically important location for being a base of the shogunate during the Sengoku (Warring States) period.
This area is deeply associated with Masamune Date, the samurai ruler of the Sendai region who was known as ”Dokuganryu” (one-eyed hero), as he could only see with one eye.
This area was loved by Masamune Date as an excellent port and hundreds of islands and sunken rocks in the area prevented invasion by enemies. (Thanks to these islands Matsushima suffered relatively little damage from the tsunami which followed the big earthquake on March 11th, 2011). After Matsushima became a base of the Date family, they built a number of impressive facilities. One of them, Zuiganji Temple, is registered as a National Treasure and is known as a symbol of Matsushima.
These are just pieces of a rich and fascinating story. It is recommended to actually visit and feel the beauty of Matsushima.
With our tours, you will be able to touch and feel not only the history of Matsushima, but also the beautiful landscape and local culture. Beauty of Japan tours include numerous local and exclusive experiences that are unforgettable and like no other tour.
- Enjoy green tea tasting and local original sake-based cocktail
- Visit a sake brewery to learn about local sake culture
- Tea ceremony at historical teahouse (Beauty of Japan exclusive)
10:00AM Meet a guide at Hon-Shiogama Station
(About 30 minutes train ride from JR Sendai station.)
Then walk to a local famous green tea store for unique "green tea tasting" experience.
You will have a chance to taste a few kinds of high-graded green tea that are served at luxurious hotel/ryokan, as well as sake-based green tea cocktail.
11:00AM Visit a local sake brewery
You will visit a local sake brewery that is famous nationwide and hear about their history, manufacturing process of sake, and types of sake. You will also have a chance to taste few kinds of sake. (*Closed on Sundays.)
(Participants on Sundays) Ride on a sightseeing boat
- When the sake brewery is not opened, we will take you to a short sightseeing boat ride in Matsushima bay where you will certainly enjoy the beautiful landscape from the boat.
Several options for lunch, such as sushi, yakiniku, local izakaya restaurant, seafood, oysters, shojin cuisine (vegetarian), etc.
1:30PM-4:15PM Tea ceremony and walking tour in Matsushima
- Tea ceremony at Kanrantei teahouse (one of the Miyagi prefecture's tangible cultural properties)
Tea ceremony will be held in Goza-no-ma room, which is not open to public and photographs are not allowed in order to preserve historical wall paintings that are designated as an important cultural property of Japan; however, our guests will have a special access to this room and experience a tea ceremony. You will enjoy Japanese traditional green tea with a stunning view of Matsushima bay.
- Walking tour in Matsushima
You will visit numerous local historical sites with a guide. This is a fantastic opportunity to learn about their "Date culture" and history, whilst seeing the local lifestyle.
Spots to visit:
- Zuiganji temple (National Treasure and Important Cultural Property)
- Godaido temple (Important Cultural Property)
- Entsuin temple
- Pine Tree of "Saigyo Modish" (if time allows)
4:30PM Tour ends at Matsuhima-Kaigan station
*Pricing (per person):
1 person: 49,000 yen
2 persons: 28,500 yen
3 persons: 21,500 yen
4 persons: 18,200 yen
5 persons: 16,200 yen
6 persons: 14,800 yen
Tour StyleAvailable language: English and Spanish
Group SizeMin. 1 person
Max. 5 persons
(Please inquire us for a party of 6 or more.)
What's Included- Guide
- Tea ceremony
- Admission fee to facilities
What's not Included- Transportation fee to/from meeting point
- Food and beverage
Tour TipsBooking process
1. Please contact us for availability and pricing through ‘BOOK IT’ button below.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 1 business day.
3. Payment request will be sent.
4. Reservation will be confirmed upon payment is received. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
Payment method: Paypal, wire transfer, and bitcoin
*Payment needs to be made in advance
Reservations may be cancelled without a charge up to 6 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 5 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 5 days and 1 day: 50% of the program charge
- Less than a day or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time in JST