Hike the Yakushima’s peak (Mt. Miyanoura) and meet Jomon-Sugi
Introduction■What is Yakushima?
Yakushima... An island of moss green, a botanical treasury plenty of forests from ancient times, showered forever by the southern heaven, where the islanders live along the vivid cycle of four seasons more intimately than elsewhere in Japan...
This island is not entitled the World Natural Heritage by UNESCO for no reason.
So, we are here to help you know and experience what Yakushima is about!
Enjoy Yakushima field tour with our licensed local guide!
■A step-by-step-journey across the most mountainous island in Kyusyu! What would it be like spending a night in the World Natural Heritage forest!?
The first day, we start from Yodogawa entrance and climb over Mt. Miyanoura, the highest peak of Yakushima.
It is a tough and long trekking course, a vertical journey through the wide range of forest types, beyond the tree line, into the unpredictable sky of the high altitude (1,936m).
Unpredictable but if lucky, a 360° panoramic view from the top of the island is more than rewarding!
Note that beyond the tree line, where no tree is taller than ourselves, nothing protects you from sunshine or raindrops falling from the sky.
If you care, sunscreen is helpful, and rainwear is indispensable.
Then, we spend a night in Shin-Takatsuka hut.
Note that it is just a free hut with a roof and walls in which we have to share the space with other campers to sleep in sleeping bag. Some visitors complain that the hut and its toilet are not sanitary, but please remember it’s not a hotel.
Or, if it’s not raining, you can choose to sleep in a tent that our guide carries up in case.
The second day, we walk down toward Arakawa entrance (exit).
On the way, we get to see the most famous and long-living tree, Jomon-sugi, and the biggest tree stump (not only see, but step in and check how it is like to be inside the stump!), then walk on the old rail road to Arakawa.
Usually, the tour finishes around 3 pm.
■Do you prefer to prepare your meal for the tour on your own?
If "NO", the lunch (also morning for some tour) we offer is Japanese style "Bento" (lunch box) like in the gallery picture: 1. Rice Balls 2. Cooked Burdock 3. Fried Chicken 4. Fried Fish Ball 5. Mackerel 6. Rolled Omellets
-Rainwear (a set of jacket and pants, no matter what the weather cast says)
-Backpack (at least 40 liters in size to carry what you want/need to take with you)
-Rolled mattress for sleeping bag
-Trekking poles (optional)
-Gaiters (optional in case of raining or snowing)
Above listed gears are available in Yakushima to rent > link (about rental gear)
-Hat and sunglasses
-Gloves (trekking requires rope-climbing at some parts)
-Down jacket (it gets cold in the mountain after the sunset)
-Soft-shell or fleece (in wintertime)
-Thermal underwear (in wintertime)
-Snack (or any portable food to charge your energy)
-Self-confidence (both physical and mental)
-Tolerance (both physical and mental, staying a night in an uncivilized area)
■Price per person
1 person: 81,300 Yen
2 persons: 50,000 Yen
3 persons: 37,500 Yen
4 persons: 31,300 Yen
5 persons or more: Please ask.
Tour Style- This is a private tour.
- Program is offered in English.
Meeting Place: pick up between Isso to Kurio district.
Please let us know in the case your accommodation is located in Nagata district.
Group SizeMin. 1 person
*Course Time: 1st day: 9-10hours / 2nd day: 8-9 hours
Tour ItineraryMeeting time:
Miyanoura (Port): 4:00AM
Onoaida area: 4:00AM
Anbo (Port): 4:30AM
*The exact time will follow after your booking.
- On the first day, we start from Yodogawa entrance and climb over Mt. Miyanoura, the highest peak of Yakushima.
- Go on to tough and long trekking course. *If lucky, a 360° panoramic view from the top of the island is more than rewarding!
- We spend a night in Shin-Takatsuka hut
- The second day, we walk down toward Arakawa entrance (exit) *On the way, we get to see the most famous and long-living tree, Jomon-sugi, and the biggest tree stump
- Usually, the tour finishes around 3 pm
What's Included- Pick-up in Yakushima town
- Meals during the tour
Tour TipsBooking process
1. Please contact us for availability through ‘BOOK IT’ button below.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 2 business day.
3. Payment request will be sent.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Fees shall be paid through Credit Card. Currently no other payment method is accepted.
- If the tour is cancelled due to the weather condition, no cancellation fee will be charged.
Also, if the weather doesn’t allow your requested tour though you are already in Yakushima, our guides will propose another activity to make up your stay here.
- Otherwise, cancellation within 7 days of the reserved tour date will be charged the full amount of the tour price.
In short, please be as nice as possible not to cancel after your tour date is confirmed.
*Time is in JST.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.
- Every effort will be made to keep to the above itinerary, but we cannot make absolute guarantees! Changes to the itinerary will normally be made to introduce an improvement. Weather conditions, road and transport conditions, and the health of walkers can all contribute to changes. The guide will ensure that the trip runs according to plan, but an easy-going nature is an asset!