Horyuji Temple Tour (From Osaka) (SWA048）
Introduction◆The Great South Gate
This is the main gate to Horyuji and the view through this is beautiful and impressive, as the gate frames the pagoda, the main hall and the inner gate, which all date back to the 7th century. In front of the Great South Gate stairway is a rock in the shape of a fish, snapper. It was apparently used by visitors to wipe the dirt off of their shoes.
◆The Inner Gate
This is the oldest double roofed temple gate in Japan. The gate and the adjoining roofed corridors enclose the main sanctuary. The corridors are supported by well-balanced entasis posts. The pair of guardian statues is placed at the both side of the gate to guard and protect the temple from evil. Originally made of clay, but the left side statue’s body was repaired in the 16th century and the clay was replaced with wood. Only the head is made with the original clay.
◆The West Octagonal Hall & Belfry
This hall is dedicated to the Healing Buddha. The statue, made of hollow dry-lacquer, is the Japan’s biggest. Instead of two attendant statues, the Moon Buddha and the Sun Buddha, the crescent moon and the sun-shape circle roof tiles are placed on the roof. Next to the West Octagonal Hall is the belfry. The bell is sounded at 8, 10, 12, 2, 4’o clock every day. From here you can get a breathtaking view of Miwa Three Mountains.
This tower is one of the oldest wooden buildings in the world and has survived many natural disasters, and is a legacy of beauty left by the ancient craftsmen. The first floor has four entrance doors and from each door you can see a different scene. In the east, the scene of the debate between Kannon and Yuima, and in the north, the scene portrays Buddha’s entry into nirvana. Every scene is a magnificent slay work.
The Main Hall is the main sanctuary and prayer hall of every temple complex. This hall enshrines the main Buddhist statues, especially the Shaka Trinity that is noted for the Chinese Ancient sculptural style with almond-shape eyes surrounded by Four Heavenly Guardian Kings. The guardian statues, supposed the Japan’s oldest, are stamping starving ghosts which look humorous.
Constructed as the lecture hall, this is still used. Enshrined in the Lecture Hall are the Yakushi Buddha and his attendants who cure one’s physical and spiritual sufferings. This hall and the Inner Gate are connected with the roofed corridor where you can enjoy walking between Greek atmosphere entasis posts.
This building houses many national treasures, especially Dream Changing Kannon, Jizo Bosatsu, Kudara Kannon Statue, and Tamamushi-no-Zushi, or the miniature shrine decorated with wings of jewel beetle. You can appreciate an excellent exhibition of national treasures in the air-conditioned place. The hall was dedicated Prince Shotoku, known as the father of the Japanese Buddhism and enshrines the Statues of Prince Shotoku and the monks who contributed. This is the oldest octagonal building and has doors every two walls and still retains its original roof.
The temple was founded at the request of Prince Shotoku’s mother about the same time the original Horyuji was constructed in the early 7th as a temple for nuns. It houses the Miroku Bosatsu which is praised as one of the finest wooden statues in Japan. Though it has lost its crown and ornaments, the archaic smile and two chignons atop his its head enhance the statue’s beauty. Nest to the statue is the framed replica of ancient embroidery, which depicts the Heavenly Land of immortality.
Horyuji Temple is well known as the oldest wooden construction of all existing in the world, which was listed on the UNESCO World Heritage list for the first time in Japan in 1993. In this tour you visit Horyuji Temple and you can know the Japanese Buddhist history, the exquisite carpentry, and national treasure sculptures, while enjoying an atmosphere of Ikaruga.
Price per person
28,600 yen for 1 person
20,400 yen for 2 persons
17,600 yen for 3 persons
16,200 yen for 4 persons
Kids （age 6-11）: 7,300 yen
Tour StyleThis is a short trip program.
- Some programs are not conducted on daily basis. Please ask us for availability first.
- Programs are offered in English, but other languages may be available. Please ask us for your desired language.
Pick up at your hotel in Osaka
(The picking-up applicable hotels are limited to the hotels within 30 minutes from JR Osaka Station. If you need a taxi or a hired car, an additional fee will be charged.)
Group Size1~4 persons *Please ask us if your groups is 5 persons or more.
Tour Itinerary9:00 start
Your hotel→Pine Avenue → The Great South Gate →The Inner Gate → The West Octagonal Hall, The Belfry → Pagoda → Main Hall → Lecture Hall → Great Treasury → Hall of Dreams → Chuguji→JRHoryuji Station
What's Included・Guiding fee
・Public transportation fee (For taxis or hired cars, additional fee will be charged.)
What's not Included・Cost of meal and sightseeing activities
Tour TipsBooking process
1. Please ask us for availability through ‘contact us’ form and make sure to write the number of participants and date.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 2 business days. 3. Payment request will be sent.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Program fees shall be paid through Credit Card. Currently, no other payment method is accepted.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 15 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 14 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 14 days and 3 days: 20% of the program charge
- 2 days in advance: 50% of the program charge
- Less than a day or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time is in JST.
- Please follow the guide's instruction during the program. We shall not be responsible for any accident caused by disregard of the instructions.
- Program duration is an estimate and is subject to change depending on the number of participants and/or conditions without prior notice.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.
- Deadline for booking a program is 5 business days prior to the program date.