10 days Guided Hiking Tour in Northern Alps (Sado, Matsumoto, Hakuba, Dewa-sanzan)
This is a guided hiking tour from Northern Japanese Alps to Dewasanzan for 10 days.
Also, you will visit Sado island where the local unique culture developed.
Northern Japanese Alps consists of a huge mountain area in Japan (150km from north to south and 25km from east to west) and the most part of the area is part of the Chubu sangaku national park. In Japan, there are 21 mountains that are over 3,000 m of elevation and 10 of them are in this Northern Alps.
Sado is the largest island in Japan and it is famous for a concentrated Japan because of its beautiful nature.
Also, Sado is one of the rare places where you can see Japanese ibis thanks to the artificial feeding.
In addition, Sado is famous for the Noh (classical stage art performed by male performers).
There were over 200 Noh stages in Sado during Edo priod and 32 stages still remains.
Dewasanzan is the generic name of Mt. Gassan, Mt. Haguro, and Mt. Yudono. It has been well known as a mountain for an ascetics.
It has been said that each mountain represents present life, previous life, and afterlife.
Mt.Gassan: Previous life
Mt. Haguro: Present life
Mt. Yudonosan: Afterlife
Today, hikers hike those mountain as a spiritual training at Dewasanzan:
Entering from Mt. Haguro (represents present life) then Mt. Gassan for face to death and resurrection, and reborn at Mt. Yudono.
Mountain faith is something Japan unique and original. Let's enjoy our hiking tour including a stay at traditional style house where you can enjoy local lifestyle.
Price (per person): Please contact us for details.
- Tour Style
- Tour Style
- Please contact us for pricing and other details.
- Itinerary can be tailor-made.
- Please note that there may be other participants.
- Program is offered in English.
Starting point: Tokyo station
Meeting Place with a guide: Hotel in Matsumoto
Ending point: Yamagata airport
- Tour Level
- Toughness: 2/3
- Group Size
- Min. 2 persons
Max. 7 persons
- 10 days
- Tour Itinerary
- ◆Day 1
-Move to Matsumoto from Tokyo
-Sightseeing without a guide *Matsumoto-jo castle is recommended to visit.
-Enjoy the local food at the Izakaya bar.
Matsumoto-jo castle is one of the most beautiful castles in Japan. You will be amaized by its beautiful contrast of the building.
- Meet with a guide at hotel
- Hike at the Shionomiti road
- Stay at a local traditional folk house where you can feel Japanese local lifestyle and rest for the next day.
- Hike the Tsugaike plateau, Watasu wetlands, and Hakuba-Oike lake. (4.5 hours including lunch time)
- Stay at the mountain hut at Hakuba-Oike lake.
Hakuba-Oike is a lake that has been made dammed in the ejecta of the volcano.
- Walk along the Hakuba lake towards Renge Onsen hot spring. (5.5 hours including lunch time)
- Thereafter, move to the Naoetsu
Renge onsen is located in the middle of the mountain and loved by local hikers.
There are 4 different kinds of open-air onsen and the most famous one is called is Senki onsen.
At the Senki onsen, you see clouds underneath.
- Take the ferry and move to Sado island.
- Enjoy a tub boat and adventurer experience in Sado island.
Sado island is the biggest island in Japan. Enjoy its superb nature and beautiful landscape like ocean mountain river lake and rice field.
- Enjoy sightseeing at the Ryotsu in Sado island.
The biggest port is located at Ryotsu and it is the biggest town in Sado. There are onsen ryokan, restaurants, and many shops.
- Take the ferry from Sado island.
- Move to Yamagata prefecture and take a rest at the accommodation.
- Move to the Mt. Yudono, one of the Mt. Dewasanzan, and visit Yudensan shrine.
Yudensan shrine does not have a main shrine, which is already unique and this is because Mt. Yudono was the subject of mountain faith, so they believe the God is enshrined in the mountain, thus there was no need to build a main shrine.
- Hike the Yudensan shrine, Mt. gassan and Busseiti hut for 4.5 hours.
- Stay at the mountain hut.
- Hike the Mt. Gassan and visit Mt. Haguro (2 hours)
- Take the 2,446 stairs towards a Dewasanzan shrine. Thereafter, walk towards hospicea guesthouse. (2 hours)
Enjoy the breathtaking landscape and its amazing nature through the hiking.
This area won 3 stars from Michelin Green Guide Japan.
- Take a vehicle and move to Yamadera temple.
- Stay at Ginzan onsen.
Yamadera temple is the Buddhism dojo studio which has over 1000 years of history.
You will get to the Yamadera temple after climbing a lot of stairs where you will be purified by one step.
The scape from the top is unforgetable.
Last accommodation you will stay is Ginzan onsen area which the Hayao Miyazaki was inspired by its beauty. (Movie "Spirited Away" was hinted from here.)
-Move to the Yamagata airport and tour concludes at the airport
- What's Included
- - Guiding fee
- Transportation fee
- Accommodation fee
- Admission fee for all facilities
- Tour Tips
- Booking process
1. Please contact us for availability through ‘BOOK IT’ button below.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 1 business day.
3. Payment request will be sent via Paypal.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Fees shall be paid through credit card/Paypal. You do not need to have a paypal account to pay with your credit card.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 21 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 20 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
20 days to 8 days prior to start date of tour in Japan: 20% of total price
7 days to 2 days prior to start date of tour in Japan: 30% of total price
1 day prior to start date of tour in Japan: 40% of total price
On the start date of the tour in Japan, during a tour, or no show: 100 % of total price
*Time is in JST.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.
- Every effort will be made to keep to the above itinerary, but we cannot make absolute guarantees! Changes to the itinerary will normally be made to introduce an improvement. Weather conditions, road and transport conditions, and the health of walkers can all contribute to changes. The guide will ensure that the trip runs according to plan, but an easy-going nature is an asset!
Ghibli Animation Museum Tour in Mitaka, Tokyo...
Here is an opportunity to visit the Ghibli An...
'Nikugatou' Excellent Yakiniku Restaurant in ...
Nikugatou, specialized in lean beef, is certa...
'Maizuru' The world's most non-tasty restaura...
This ramen looks very delicious; however, the...
Shinjuku Metropolitan Area Half-Day Guided To...
Your guide picks you up at the lobby of the h...
Ameya-Yokocho (ame-yoko) market street in Uen...
This is Ameya-Yokochō, a market area located ...