[April 3rd only] Participate Japan's strangest festival Kanamara matsuri
How about going to the craziest festival in Japan? That's Kanamara.
The Shinto Kanamara Matsuri, "Festival of the Steel Phallus" is held each spring at the Kanayama Shrine in Kawasaki, Japan. The exact dates vary: the main festivities fall on the first Sunday in April. The phallus, as the central theme of the event, is reflected in illustrations, candy, carved vegetables, decorations, and a mikoshi parade.
The Kanayama Shrine was popular among prostitutes who wished to pray for protection from sexually transmitted infections. It is also said the shrine offers divine protections for business prosperity, and for the clan's prosperity; and for easy delivery, marriage, and married-couple harmony.
How about going to watch this strange parade together? Theme color is red and we would also offer a special Tengu mask with a long nose in our tour.
■Date: April 3rd 12PM-2PM
■Meeting place: Keikyu-line Kawasaki station central gate
■Price per person: 1,500 yen
After you watch the festival, you can walk around the kaoss in the shrine. Take pictures and enjoy shopping! There will be a performance show, too.
- Tour Style
- Program is offered in English.
Meeting Place: Keikyu-line Kawasaki station at central gate
(Local guide will have a red fan at the ticket entrance. )
- Group Size
- Min. 1 person
Max. 10 persons
- 2 hours
You are welcome to join after party at local izakaya at additional fee.
- Tour Itinerary
- 12PM Meet at Keikyu-line Kawasaki station → Watch mikoshi and take pictures of strange penis shape items → Watch live performance on the stage → 2PM end of tour → Izakaya party at additional fee
- What's Included
- - Guide fee
- Original fan
- Mask (braggart)
- What's not Included
- - Food/Drink
- Tour Tips
- Booking process
1. Please contact us for availability through ‘BOOK IT’ button below.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 1 business day.
3. Payment request will be sent via Paypal.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Fees shall be paid through Paypal. Currently no other payment method is accepted.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 8 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 7 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 7 days and 3 days: 50% of the program charge
- 2 days in advance or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time is in JST.
- Please advise us, in advance, if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.