Lake Biwa Electric Bike Tour and be part of local life in Shiga
IntroductionHow would you like to enjoy a day off in the ultimate tranquility of the countryside as you leisurely cycle along the serene shores of Lake Biwa?
This course will take you along a beautiful lakeside road up to the stunning scenes of rice terraces using electric bikes that provide an effortless, refreshing ride. You will enjoy a peaceful and relaxing day as a guest of the a traditional village located at the foot of the mountains, just a short hop from Kyoto. It's a slow-paced, off-the-beaten-track tour to the countryside to see a different side of Japan, where you will visit shrines and streets free of crowds of tourists.
At lunchtime, indulge yourself with homemade delicious dishes using local ingredients along with rice freshly cooked in a wood burning cooker which guests are welcome to participate in making.
We hope you will join us on this tour and its feast of discoveries!
Price per person
Adult: 18,200 yen
Children 12,700 yen (10〜12 years old)
*Tour will be closed from December to March due to snow and strong wind.
Recommended Winter tour is here: Coming soon
Tour Style- Please note that there may be other participants.
- Programs are offered in English.
- Children need to ride a bicycle by themselves.
※Please understand that the itinerary may be changed due to the weather, traffic and emergency situation without notice.
Meeting place: JR Shiga station
※Our tour conductor will meet and see you off at JR Shiga Station. If you would like to arrange to be picked up at JR Kyoto Station, we can arrange it for an additional charge of 4,000 yen per group. Your train fare is not included in the tour price.
Group SizeMin. 2 persons
Max. 5 persons
Duration4 hours (10am-4pm)
Tour Itinerary10am start
- After a 30-minute scenic train ride from JR Kyoto station, you will arrive at JR Shiga station.
From here, you will ride electric powered bicycles along the lakeside path toward the village of Kitafunaji.
- Enjoy a refreshing and comfortable ride with electric bicycles through the village up the hill to the viewpoint.
- With seasonal activities including rice planting and harvesting, you may have the opportunity to enjoy the farmer's life in rural Japan.
- Upon arrival at the 200-year-old house, you will be greeted and welcomed by the lovely owner couple. They moved from the city years ago and are now a part of the traditional community living an environmentally conscious life using solar panels, solar water heaters, and rainwater collection.
- Homemade lunch is served along with the steaming hot rice cooked in the special cooking stove “Nuka Kudo” which uses rice husks as fuel. Participants can experience cooking the rice.
*Obento Lunch Box ingredients vary with the season.
- Returning to Kyoto with fond memories.
We will pedal back to JR Shiga Station on bicycles while enjoying the breeze from the lake and reflecting on the lovely day’s meetings.
What's Included- Rental bicycle fee, Rental helmet fee
- English speaking tour conductor
- All taxes and services fees
What's not Included- Additional food and drinks
- JR train fare
Tour TipsBooking process
1. Please contact us for availability through ‘BOOK IT’ button below.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 1 business day.
3. Payment request will be sent via Paypal.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Fees shall be paid through credit card/Paypal. You do not need to have a paypal account to pay with your credit card.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 11 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 10 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
10 days to 8 days prior to start date of tour in Japan: 20% of total price
7 days to 2 days prior to start date of tour in Japan: 30% of total price
1 day prior to start date of tour in Japan: 40% of total price
On the start date of the tour in Japan, during a tour, or no show: 100 % of total price
*Time is in JST.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.
- Every effort will be made to keep to the above itinerary, but we cannot make absolute guarantees! Changes to the itinerary will normally be made to introduce an improvement. Weather conditions, road and transport conditions, and the health of walkers can all contribute to changes. The guide will ensure that the trip runs according to plan, but an easy-going nature is an asset!