Kyoto Traditional Townhouse (Machiya) a half day Tour（SWA021）
Machiya townhouse with a history of 60 years. Guests can enjoy atmosphere of a typical Machiya townhouse where they can see Maiko & Kimono costume and buy small kimono articles.
Option A: Maiko Costume: An authentic Maiko Costume including hair dressing & hair decorations plus taking a photograph by a professional cameraman. A picture by instant camera, “Instax mini” can be handed on spot and data of a picture can be sent afterwards. 13000/person. Reservation is necessary one week before.
Option B: Kimono Course: Casual kimono wearing and strolling around neighbor hood. 3,000 yen/person
◆Mumeisha Yoshida House
It is located in a corner of a wholesale district of Kyoto kimono. It has a typical townhouse structure consisting of a shop, a living quarter, a warehouse and courtyards. Old kimono of Edo period makes you feel nostalgia for living of business man of old days about 150 years ago. The house was built in 1909.
◆ Horino Memorial Museum
It is a home of Kyoto’s famous sake brewer “Kinshi Masamune” built in 1781. After the brewing facility was moved to Fushimi, the original land and building were carefully preserved. The Momonoi well, Okuzashiki as a reception room, courtyard garden etc. are preserved as original. You could feel as if you had been transported through time.
The street is an arcade containing an assortment of shops and services, both Traditional and modern shops. You can enjoy a simplified tea ceremony at Ippodo tea shop with a history of 290 years.
This is the course to touch upon a traditional culture of Kyoto by visiting Machiya townhouses in Kyoto which preserve the traditional taste. The first townhouse can provide Maiko & Kimono plan as options. Several townhouses are included in this tour such as authentic traditional townhouse, Mumeisha Yoshida House and Horino Memorial Museum with a history of 230 years which presents a good example of old sake brewers and residence of Horino family.
Price per person
17,800 yen for 1 person
13,100 yen for 2 persons
11,500 yen for 3 persons
10,700 yen for 4 persons
Kids （age 6-11）: 5,000 yen
Tour StyleThis is a short trip program.
- Some programs are not conducted on daily basis. Please ask us for availability first.
- Programs are offered in English, but other languages may be available. Please ask us for your desired language.
Pick up at your hotel in Kyoto
(The picking applicable hotels are limited to the hotels between Higashi-oji-dori and Nishi-oji-dori (to the east and west) and Imadegawa-dori and Jujo-dori(to the north and south). If you need a taxi or a hired car, an additional fee will be charged.)
Group Size1~4 persons *Please ask us if your groups is 5 persons or more.
Tour Itinerary13:00 start
Your hotel→Shijo Omiya→Kayo→Mumeisha Yoshida House →Horino Memorial Museum→Teramachi Street
What's IncludedGuiding fee, Public transportation fee (For taxis or hired cars, additional fee will be charged.), Admission fee
What's not IncludedCost of meal and sightseeing activities
Tour TipsBooking process
1. Please ask us for availability through ‘contact us’ form and make sure to write the number of participants and date.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 2 business days.
3. Payment request will be sent via Paypal.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Program fees shall be paid through Paypal. Currently, no other payment method is accepted.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 15 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 14 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 14 days and 3 days: 20% of the program charge
- 2 days in advance: 50% of the program charge
- Less than a day or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time is in JST.
- Please follow the guide's instruction during the program. We shall not be responsible for any accident caused by disregard of the instructions.
- Program duration is an estimate and is subject to change depending on the number of participants and/or conditions without prior notice.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.
- Deadline for booking a program is 5 business days prior to the program date.