Ohara, the Serenity Nunneries Course, Kyoto (SWA019)
Founded in the 8th century, this temple has been regarded as the place where Buddhist monks train the Buddhist Chants, or Shomyo. It houses the national treasure of Amida triad, and has the sublime garden that is referred to the Buddhist Heaven, or Jyodo. Take some time to sit, walk and enjoy the garden.
◆Ohara Imperial mausoleum
Two emperors who tried to topple down the then Shogun Government were buried here. This place is controlled by the Imperial Household Agency; and therefore, nobody is permitted to go inside, but the area has been managed clean and provides the serenity.
This is one of monasteries of Shorinin and has been used as the place where monks are given trainings of Tendai Buddhist Chants, or Shomyo. You enjoy Japanese tea and snack here with viewing gardens and instruments for chants.
This has been the main seminary for the Buddhist monks as the place where they are given trainings of chanting. Temples we will visit are surrounded by two rivers that are called “RO” and “RITSU”. When our articulation is not good, Japanese express that “RO-RETSU ga mawaranai,” or “we cannot clear our articulation” from the names of those rivers.
In this tour, you walk and visit three Gisha districts in Kyoto. For overseas visitors, “geisha” gives the wrong image, such as prostitute. In the past it was ambiguous to distinguish between Geisha and prostitute, but only professional entertainers now called Geisha remains. The first is the old site where geisha business has already stopped was called “red-light district.” Afterwards, you visit Miyagawacho and Gion. You enjoy the history and architecture.
Price per person
21,600 yen for 1 person
15,900 yen for 2 persons
14,000 yen for 3 persons
13,100 yen for 4 persons
Kids （age 6-11）: 6,100 yen
Tour StyleThis is a short trip program.
- Some programs are not conducted on daily basis. Please ask us for availability first.
- Programs are offered in English, but other languages may be available. Please ask us for your desired language.
Pick up at your hotel in Kyoto
(The picking applicable hotels are limited to the hotels between Higashi-oji-dori and Nishi-oji-dori (to the east and west) and Imadegawa-dori and Jujo-dori(to the north and south). If you need a taxi or a hired car, an additional fee will be charged.)
Group Size1~4 persons *Please ask us if your groups is 5 persons or more.
Tour Itinerary8:30 start
Your hotel→Sanzenin →Ohara Imperial mausoleum → Jikkoin → Shorinin
What's IncludedGuiding fee, Public transportation fee (For taxis or hired cars, additional fee will be charged.), Admission fee
What's not IncludedCost of meal and sightseeing activities
Tour TipsBooking process
1. Please ask us for availability through ‘contact us’ form and make sure to write the number of participants, date, and time (for private program).
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 2 business days.
3. Payment request will be sent via Paypal.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Program fees shall be paid through Paypal. Currently, no other payment method is accepted.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 15 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 14 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 14 days and 3 days: 20% of the program charge
- 2 days in advance: 50% of the program charge
- Less than a day or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time is in JST.
- Please follow the guide's instruction during the program. We shall not be responsible for any accident caused by disregard of the instructions.
- Program duration is an estimate and is subject to change depending on the number of participants and/or conditions without prior notice.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.
- Deadline for booking a program is 5 business days prior to the program date.
Kyoto Zen Gardens including the Golden Pavilion & ...
Exploring the Heart of Kyoto for a day with a guide (S...
Kyoto Fish Market Walking & Sushi Making Program (...
Serene Arashiyama Bamboo Forest a half day tour in Kyot...
Sagano and Arashiyama Historical Tour, Kyoto (SWA020)