Sagano and Arashiyama Historical Tour, Kyoto (SWA020)
Nonomiya Shrine is a Shinto shrine where, in ancient times, unmarried imperial princesses stayed for a year or more to purify themselves afterwhich they were sent to Ise Shrine in Mie prefecture to serve as a representative of the Imperial family. The shrine famously appears in the tenth chapter of the Tale of Genji, a classic work of Japanese literature from the eleventh century and the world's first novel. The black torii (gate) at the entrance of the shrine is an example of the earliest style of torii - unlike later versions, the bark is exposed. It has become a popular destination for young singles who come to pray for marriage.
◆Okochi Mountain Villa
Okochi Mountain Villa is the villa and garden of samurai film star Denjiro Okochi (1898-1962). The grounds of the villa, located on the slopes of Mt. Ogura, are a traditional Japanese strolling that includes a garden, tea houses and shrines. Arden The garden is vast and has a sense of elegance and austere simplicity. Okochi was a well-known pious Buddhist who built the Jibutsudo, a Zen meditation hall. It was said that Okochi wanted to create the perfect garden with everlasting beauty to contrast with beauty captured on film that deteriorates over time. Do you think he felt the end result was perfect? When you aim for perfection, you discover it's a moving target. ～George Fisher
Kameyama park is a nice place to escape the crowds of Arashiyama. Its trail leads to a lookout over Hozu river.
Tenryuji Temple, the headquarters of the Rinzai school of Zen Buddhism, is the top-ranked among Kyoto's Five Zen Temples.
The shogun Ashikaga Takauji built the temple in 1339 to comfort the spirit of the late Emperor Godaigo who passed away on Mt. Yoshino in Nara prefecture. This temple's garden, designed by the priest Muso Soseki, became the model for all later gardens that incorporate nature as a backdrop for their designs. It features a circular promenade around Sogen Pond, allowing visitors to enjoy the scenery of the garden from a variety of vantage points.
The atmosphere is otherworldly and it’s quite unlike any other forest you’ve ever experienced. You can hear the sound that bamboo leaves rub each other.
This bridge still retains the landscape in the past, especially at the full moon night, you can enjoy the elegant view of mountains and the bridge.
Starting from Arashiyama station of the Keifuku-Arashiyama line, the walk continues to the local Shinto Shrine and the area whose atmosphere is otherworldly. Visit the Okochi villa, and afterwards, escape the crowds and walk up to the spot with a view which leads to a look out over Hozu river. Walk down to the famed bamboo grove to Tenryuji Zen Temple. Enjoy the gorgeous view of Togetsu bridge.
Price per person
18,500 yen for 1 person
13,100 yen for 2 persons
11,300 yen for 3 persons
10,400 yen for 4 persons
Kids （age 6-11）: 4,600 yen
Tour StyleThis is a short trip program.
- Some programs are not conducted on daily basis. Please ask us for availability first.
- Programs are offered in English, but other languages may be available. Please ask us for your desired language.
Pick up at your hotel in Kyoto
(The picking applicable hotels are limited to the hotels between Higashi-oji-dori and Nishi-oji-dori (to the east and west) and Imadegawa-dori and Jujo-dori(to the north and south). If you need a taxi or a hired car, an additional fee will be charged.)
Group Size1~4 persons *Please ask us if your groups is 5 persons or more.
Tour Itinerary9:00 start
Your hotel→ Nonomiya shrine→ the bamboo park→ walk through in front of Rakushisha→ Ogura pond→ Okochi Mountain villa→ Kameyama park→ Bamboo Grove → Tenryuji temple→ Togetsu bridge
What's IncludedGuiding fee, Public transportation fee (For taxis or hired cars, additional fee will be charged.), Admission fee
What's not IncludedCost of meal and sightseeing activities
Tour TipsBooking process
1. Please ask us for availability through ‘contact us’ form and make sure to write the number of participants, date, and time (for private program).
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 2 business days.
3. Payment request will be sent via Paypal.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Program fees shall be paid through Paypal. Currently, no other payment method is accepted.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 15 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 14 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 14 days and 3 days: 20% of the program charge
- 2 days in advance: 50% of the program charge
- Less than a day or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time is in JST.
- Please follow the guide's instruction during the program. We shall not be responsible for any accident caused by disregard of the instructions.
- Program duration is an estimate and is subject to change depending on the number of participants and/or conditions without prior notice.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.
- Deadline for booking a program is 5 business days prior to the program date.
Serene Arashiyama Bamboo Forest a half day tour in Kyot...
Rickshaw ride in Arashiyama, Kyoto will guide you secre...
Exploring the Heart of Kyoto for a half day （SWA004）
Kyoto whole day tour with a guide (Course A) (SWA016)
Kyoto Touring Superb Japanese Gardens (SWA026)