Serene Arashiyama Bamboo Forest a half day tour in Kyoto（SWA006）
◆Okochi Mountain Villa
Okochi Mountain Villa is the villa and garden of samurai film star Denjiro Okochi (1898-1962). The grounds of the villa, located on the slopes of Mt. Ogura, are a traditional Japanese strolling garden that includes a garden, tea houses and shrines.
The garden is vast and has a sense of elegance and austere simplicity. Okochi was a well-known pious Buddhist who built the Jibutsudo, a Zen meditation hall. It was said that Okochi wanted to create the perfect garden with everlasting beauty to contrast with beauty captured on film that deteriorates over time. Do you think he felt the end result was perfect? When you aim for perfection, you discover it's a moving target. ～George Fisher
Nonomiya Shrine is a Shinto shrine where, in ancient times, unmarried imperial princesses stayed for a year or more to purify themselves afterwhich they were sent to Ise Shrine in Mie prefecture to serve as a representative of the Imperial family. The shrine famously appears in the tenth chapter of the Tale of Genji, a classic work of Japanese literature from the eleventh century and the world's first novel.
The black torii (gate) at the entrance of the shrine is an example of the earliest style of torii - unlike later versions, the bark is exposed. It has become a popular destination for young singles who come to pray for marriage.
Tenryuji Temple, the head quarters of the Rinzai school of Zen Buddhism, is the top-ranked among Kyoto's Five ZenTemples. The shogun Ashikaga Takauji built the temple in 1339 to comfort the spirit of the late Emperor Godaigo who passed away on Mt. Yoshino in Nara prefecture. This temple's garden, designed by the priest Muso Soseki, became the model for all later gardens that incorporate nature as a backdrop for their designs. It features a circular promenade around Sogen Pond, allowing visitors to enjoy the scenery of the garden from a variety of vantage points.
The name "Togetsukyo",meaning "Moon Crossing Over the Bridge", comes from a description of the bridge written by Emperor Kameyama in the 14th century. He wrote that , as the moon traverses the sky , it appears as if the moon is crossing over the bridge. Visitors are enchanted by the picture perfect scenery of the cherry blossoms in spring or the colorful changing leaves in autumn. Togetsukyo Bridge crosses the Oi River, well-known for its beautiful reflection of nearby Arashiyama. There are popular boat rides around the bridge., and at night you can also witness traditional cormorant fishing, in which retrieves fish from the throats of cormorants.
Arashiyama is a scenic spot in Kyoto where the cultural flavors and colors of the ancient royal court have been preserved. Take a moment to walk through the noted Tenryuji Temple, listen to the rustle of the bamboo leaves and cross the Togetsukyo Bridge, over the Oi River. Wander around the sites and in the shoes of the ancient people. Our government-licensed tour guides will show you around with warm hospitality and total dedication.
Price per person
18,500 yen for 1 person
12,800 yen for 2 persons
10,800 yen for 3 persons
9,900 yen for 4 persons
Kids （age 6-11）: 4,200 yen
This is a short trip program.
- Some programs are not conducted on daily basis. Please ask us for availability first.
- Programs are offered in English, but other languages may be available. Please ask us for your desired language.
Pick up at your hotel in Kyoto
(The picking applicable hotels are limited to the hotels between Higashi-oji-dori and Nishi-oji-dori (to the east and west) and Imadegawa-dori and Jujo-dori(to the north and south). If you need a taxi or a hired car, an additional fee will be charged.)
1~4 persons *Please ask us if your groups is 5 persons or more.
Pick up at hotel→Okochi Mountain Villa→Bamboo grove road→Nonomiya Shrine→Tenryuji Temple→ Togetsukyo Bridge
Guiding fee, Public transportation fee (For taxis or hired cars, additional fee will be charged.), Admission fee
What's not Included
Cost of meal and sightseeing activities
1. Please ask us for availability through ‘contact us’ form and make sure to write the number of participants, date, and time (for private program).
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 2 business days.
3. Payment request will be sent via Paypal.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Program fees shall be paid through Paypal. Currently, no other payment method is accepted.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 15 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 14 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 14 days and 3 days: 20% of the program charge
- 2 days in advance: 50% of the program charge
- Less than a day or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time is in JST.
- Please follow the guide's instruction during the program. We shall not be responsible for any accident caused by disregard of the instructions.
- Program duration is an estimate and is subject to change depending on the number of participants and/or conditions without prior notice.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.
- Deadline for booking a program is 5 business days prior to the program date.
Exploring the Heart of Kyoto for a day with a guide (S...
Kyoto Touring Superb Japanese Gardens (SWA026)
Kyoto Fushimi (Tofuku-ji, Fushim-Inari, Sake Museum ...
Kyoto Whole Day Private Tour with a guide by Taxi (SWA0...
Kyoto whole day tour with a guide (Course A) (SWA016)