Authentic Japanese Shojin Cuisine (vegetarian) Cooking Experience in Kamakura
”Washoku” traditional Japanese cuisine has been added to UNESCO insensible cultural heritage list on 2013.
You can visit a local home to experience and enjoy a real Japanese meal with professional Japanese a cook Mariko.
◆What is "Shoujin cuisine"
Shojin cuisine (Buddhist devotional cooking) is said to have originated from the essay, Tenzo Kyokun (Instructions for the Cook), written by Dogen Zenji, founder of Eiheiji Temple and the Soto school of Zen Buddhism.
The essay is full of teachings, such as the need to cook in a spirit of gratitude for the food. With these teachings as their foundation, contemporary Zen priests still prepare and eat shojin ryori as a kind of disciplinary practice.
The word “shojin” does not refer only to single-minded devotion to ascetic practices, but considers the preparation and eating of a meal as a discipline that refines the spirit, just like Zen meditation.
Shojin cuisine equates to the vegetarianism with which we contemporary folk are familiar. According to the five precepts of Buddhism, it is forbidden for a monk to take a life, and Mahayana Buddhism also prohibits the eating of meat. Shojin cuisine thus emerged as a way of cooking that worked resourcefully with vegetables, beans, and grains so that food could be offered to monks.
◆Mariko Naklamura proffetional a cook
Growing up with a restaurant owner and chef as a father, Mariko was instilled with a love of food and cooking from a young age. She studied not only Japanese food, many world's cuisines to get to understand and know the differences from Japanese food. She is a nutrition expert and recipe creator who teaches all kinds of Japanese cooking classes in English from her modern home in Kamakura. She also runs the catering company Shokuart.
- Professional Cooking instructor
- Expert in nutrition
- Food sanitation manager
- A foodie
1 main dish
2 side dish
1 sumashi soup
1 choice of Japanese white rice or brown rice(+300 Yen)
Main dish option:
1. Tofu steak with Mushroom sauce"Tofu-steak Kinoko sauce"
2. Japanese Cooking Class"Kencho-jiru"Japanese tofu and Vegetablechowder
※Children younger than 5 years of age are for free
You can cook additional main dish at an additional charge of 2,500 yen. If you have the food to which you are allergic, you must tell us befor you make a reservation.
Authentic Japanese Home Cooking Experience can be found here : http://beauty-of-japan.com/tour/authentic-japanese-home-cooking-experience-kamakura/
Authentic Japanese Sweets Cooking Experience can be found here: http://beauty-of-japan.com/tour/authentic-japanese-sweets-and-with-no-wheat-flour-cooking-experience/
Intensive Class can be found here: http://beauty-of-japan.com/tour/intensive-classauthentic-japanese-cooking-experience-kamakura-recommended-master-chef/
- Please note that there may be other participants.
- Programs are offered in English.
Meeting Place 4 Hisagi, Zushi-shi, Kanagawa
Min. 1 person Max. 5 persons
About 2~3 hours
-Lunch class starts at 10:30am -Dinner class starts at 16pm
- Sit down lunch or dinner in an authentic Japanese setting - All ingredients - All the recipes
What's not IncludedTransportation fee
Tour TipsBooking process
1. Please ask us for availability through ‘contact us’ form and make sure to write the number of people, date/time,nationality,food allergies and a program title.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 2 business days.
3. Payment request will be sent via Paypal.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you. Payment
- Fees shall be paid through Paypal. Currently no other payment method is accepted.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 8 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 8 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
-Up to 7 days before the class: 50% of the program charge
-Up to 3 days (72 hours) before the class: 80% of the program charge
-Up to 2 days (48 hours) before - The class of the current day and No-show: 100% of the program charge
*Time is in JST.
- Please advise us, in advance, if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.