Takashima Cycling and Rice Terraces View Tour
Spectacularly beautiful Japanese rice terraces, fun ride along the coast with homemade lunch in a local village.
On this tour, you will be visiting the Takashima area on the northwest side of Lake Biwa that offers exceptionally charming views of both the lake and mountains.
In the morning, you will enjoy cycling leisurely along the lakeside following a beach known for its white sand and green pine trees as well as visiting Shirahige shrine where the Shinto god of longevity is believed to reside.
After the refreshing cycle ride, you will be taken to the mountain village by taxi.
As with many of our tours a full lunch is provided, but on this tour lunch is a special experience in the private house of an 80-year-old farmer living at the highest house in a small mountain village of spectacularly-beautiful tiered rice paddies, some of the few that are still planted and harvested without heavy machinery.
In this rare and exclusive experience, you will stand along side the farmer's wife and assist (to the extent you like) as she prepares a multi-course lunch that is at the same time both simple and amazing.
Filled with locally-grown natural ingredients, this incredibly-healthy meal is the kind she has prepared every day during her 60 years of marriage.
During lulls in the preparation, step outside to enjoy the most commanding views of the picturesque rice terraces, taking your leisure to stroll among them. Those with an interest in photography will particularly enjoy the vantage points this access provides.
After slowly savoring each dish of the lunch you helped prepare, take a leisurely stroll down through the quaint country village, where life seems a bit slower and a bit more robust many miles from the nearest convenience store.
Price per person
Adult: 21,600 yen
Children 11,400 yen (10〜12 years old)
- Tour Style
- - Please note that there may be other participants.
- Programs are offered in English.
- Children need to ride a bicycle by themselves.
Meeting place: JR Omi-Takashima station
※Our tour conductor will meet and see you off at JR Omi-Takashima Station. If you would like to arrange to be picked up at JR Kyoto Station, we can arrange it for an additional charge of 4,000 yen per group. Your train fare is not included in the tour price.
- Group Size
- Min. 2 persons
Max. 6 persons
- 6.5 hours (10:00am-4:30pm)
- Tour Itinerary
- 10am start
- After a 40-minute scenic train ride from JR Kyoto station, you will arrive at JR Omi-Takashima station (Kosei-Line).
Enjoy the lovely countryside and lake views.
- The almost perfectly flat Lakeside road is ideal for a memorable bicycle ride. Feel the refreshing breeze from the lake while riding Swiss made bicycles.
You will be visiting Shirahige Shrine, the oldest in Shiga prefecture, with its impressive view of a Torii gate standing in the water and a center of devotion for many local people.
With many water springs, this part of the lake around the shrine appears particularly serene, creating an even more unforgettable impression for those who visit.
*From December to March, we will take a taxi to Shirahige Shrine instead of bicycling, due to the cold weather and snow. You can still enjoy the beautiful scenery passing by through the car window.
- After enjoying the bicycle ride, you will be taking taxi to the mountain village nestled in a narrow valley in the northern Hata District.
The Tanada of Hata are authentic terraced rice fields where humans and nature have co-existed together over the centuries, and is a valuable heritage that has fortunately remained to this day.
They are ranged like steps on the hillside between altitudes of 300m and 400m.
When you look at the landscape with the old traditional mud-walled warehouse and old-fashioned thatched houses, you will feel a nostalgic longing for the tranquility of the old days.
You can enjoy taking a walk to explore this neighborhood area after lunch.
- For lunch, we will experience making country style food with a friendly OBAACHAN, elderly lady, and have lunch in her private house.
You can enjoy talking with her about Japanese country life. She is considered to be one of the best cooks in the village.
- Returning to Kyoto with fond memories.
We will get a local bus to JR Omi-Takashima station. The tour conductor will accompany you to the JR Omi-Takashima train station for your return journey to Kyoto.
- What's Included
- - Rental bicycle fee, Rental helmet fee
- Lunch and country style cooking experience
- English speaking tour conductor
- All taxes and service fees
- What's not Included
- - Additional food and drinks
- JR train fare
- Tour Tips
- Booking process
1. Please contact us for availability through ‘BOOK IT’ button below.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 1 business day.
3. Payment request will be sent via Paypal.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Fees shall be paid through credit card/Paypal. You do not need to have a paypal account to pay with your credit card.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 11 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 10 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
10 days to 8 days prior to start date of tour in Japan: 20% of total price
7 days to 2 days prior to start date of tour in Japan: 30% of total price
1 day prior to start date of tour in Japan: 40% of total price
On the start date of the tour in Japan, during a tour, or no show: 100 % of total price
*Time is in JST.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.
- Every effort will be made to keep to the above itinerary, but we cannot make absolute guarantees! Changes to the itinerary will normally be made to introduce an improvement. Weather conditions, road and transport conditions, and the health of walkers can all contribute to changes. The guide will ensure that the trip runs according to plan, but an easy-going nature is an asset!
Spiritual Walking "Enryaku-ji, Mii-dera, ...
In this course, you will travel across spirit...
Visiting a Local Farmer and Mochi Making Tour...
Home Visit and Mochi Rice Cake Making! -Disc...
Lake Biwa Electric Bike Tour and be part of l...
How would you like to enjoy a day off in the ...
Kayaking in Lake Biwa at Sunrise and BBQ Prog...
Start out paddling to sunrise in Lake Biwa O...