Tuna Auction Watching Tour at Tsukiji Fish Market in Tokyo（STA006）
A National Certified Guide takes you around Tsukiji Market in an enjoyable and safe atmosphere. The guide also helps you shop in a small group. Languages supported are English, French, Spanish, Chinese, and others. This walk inside the fish market where fish brokers are busy working is a very special tour offered by True Japan Tour. The quality level of restaurants in Tokyo can be compared with that of restaurants of Paris. You may well know of this from the fact that a number of Japanese restaurants are awarded the Michelin stars. Tsukiji Market is instrumental in making this happen. Washoku, Japanese-style food has been registered as a UNESCO Cultural Heritage. Some of its distinguishing features are to use seasonal ingredients and to limit the amount of spices and oil to a bare minimum so that the original flavors of ingredients can be savored.
In order to do that, almost ripened vegetables and fruits should be harvested and distributed to consumers in a very short time. Seafood should also be as fresh as possible and preferably be delivered to consumers within the same day of its catch. Tsukiji Market is the world largest fish market handling 480 kinds of seafood and 380 kinds of vegetables and fruits. To make this happen, food ingredients should be brought into the market from the previous night without interruption by trucks and its auction starts from the very early morning.
In this tour you can watch a tuna auction which is the main highlight. This tuna auction is very popular. Only 120 visitors are permitted to watch per day. After getting an admission ticket, you should wait for one to two hours. The waiting time varies depending on seasons. During this waiting time, our National Certified Guide who is very familiar with the market explain how the market is operated and how the auction is carried out. In addition to the questions regarding Tsukiji Market, our guides answer any questions such as famous tourist spots of Tokyo and Japan, transportation means, technologies, cultures, customs, and so on.
At 5:30 a.m. or 6:00 a.m., the tuna auction starts. Many very large tuna fish are laid out on the concrete floor. Auctioneers on a high step from wholesale companies start the auctions. Fish brokers who finished examining the tuna using a flashlight start to bid. It’s just like watching an exciting drama to look at the dealings between the sellers and the buyers and among the buyers.
After watching the tuna auction, you eat sushi at the head sushi restaurant of Japan’s most famous sushi chain store. If you prefer some other Japanese food than sushi, that can be arranged also.
After breakfast, you visit side streets inside and outside of the market. There are many retail stores handling fish, greengrocery, seaweed, green tea, porcelain, kitchen knives, clothing and so on.
Price per person
34,400 yen for 1 person
22,900 yen for 2 persons
19,100 yen for 3 persons
17,200 yen for 4 persons
- Tour Style
- This is a short trip program.
- Some programs are not conducted on daily basis. Please ask us for availability first.
- Programs are offered in English, but other languages may be available. Please ask us for your desired language.
Osakana Fukyu Center
- Group Size
- 1~4 persons *Please ask us if your groups is 5 persons or more.
- 4 hours
- Tour Itinerary
- 4:00am start
Osakana Fukyu Center →Tuna Auction Watching Tour→Breakfast→Tsukiji Station on Oedo Line or Tsukiji Station on Hibiya Line
- What's Included
- Guiding fee, Sushi Breakfast (can be changed to another menu)
- What's not Included
- Lunch, Meals, Shopping Expenses
- Tour Tips
- Booking process
1. Please ask us for availability through ‘contact us’ form and make sure to write the number of participants and date.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 2 business days.
3. Payment request will be sent via Paypal.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Program fees shall be paid through Paypal. Currently, no other payment method is accepted.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 15 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 14 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 14 days and 3 days: 20% of the program charge
- 2 days in advance: 50% of the program charge
- Less than a day or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time is in JST.
- Please follow the guide's instruction during the program. We shall not be responsible for any accident caused by disregard of the instructions.
- Program duration is an estimate and is subject to change depending on the number of participants and/or conditions without prior notice.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.
- Deadline for booking a program is 5 business days prior to the program date.
'Iriyama Senbei' The oldest Senbei (rice crac...
This shop is 'Iriyama Senbei' that ...
'Maizuru' The world's most non-tasty restaura...
This ramen looks very delicious; however, the...
'Nikugatou' Excellent Yakiniku Restaurant in ...
Nikugatou, specialized in lean beef, is certa...
Handmade 'Oden': Maruchu Kamaboko/Nimousaku (...
Along the Tateishi Nakamise shopping street w...
Shokichi, craft doll shop, man who has magic ...
This craft shop is called "Shokichi"...