1 Day Cycling Tour in Historical Kitakata town
Kitakata, a small town located in Tohoku, northern Honshu is home to one of Japan's Three Greatest Ramen noodles, Kitakata ramen
With roughly 120 ramen shops in town, Kitakata has the highest ramen shop-per-person ratio in all of Japan and known as ramen town.
In Kitakata, you can eat ramen any time of the day.
Some shops even open from 7am for Asa Rah, a unique custom of the region - "Morning ramen" or "Ramen for breakfast".
Besides the ramen noodles, Kitakata is also well known for KURA, traditional storehouse style buildings and is nicknames as KURA no Machi - "town of KURA".
Kitakata has long been known as center of sake (rice wine) brewery and miso (soy bean paste) production. KURA, able to maintain stable temperature and humidity throughout a year, were built to store and preserve the products.
When the Great Fire of Kitakata broke out in 1880, only KURA survived the fire and many of buildings were built by KURA style afterwards.
At present day in Kitakata, there are over 4,000 KURA built all over the town - from main streets to back alleys, the largest number of KURA in Japan and many of them still in use.
On this tour, you have the privileges to visit inside of these KURA with your English-speaking guide.
Please feel the history through visiting the ancient house, various storehouses, and the soy sauce brewery.
In addition, you will see the quiet scenery through the journey of the cycling.
Enjoy seeing real, local and cultural daily life of Japan!
- Enjoy authentic Kitakata ramen, one of Japan's Three Greatest ramen noodles.
- Explore local and historical area of Japan with cycling.
- Stroll around the town of Kitakata and discover and experience its history and culture - you will find picturesque KURA around you.
- Visit various spots by city bike cycling and touch Japanese local daily life as you like!
■Sample itinerary (9AM-3PM or 10AM-4PM)
9AM/10AM Meet a guide at Kitakata Station (About 90 minutes train ride from JR Koriyama station.)
①Beautiful modern Japanese style Sake brewery with garden!
-This is modern and the biggest Sake brewery among in Kitakata city.
Also, the Japanese style garden is located in this brewery.
The sake made from this brewery was prized as a Champion of Sake in International Wine Challenge 2015.
②City bike cycling towards Roadside station.
-Enjoy city bike cycling seeing local landscape and storehouse.
After you arrive at the roadside station, please take a rest with hot spring.
*Roadside station is the rest house located in the open roads equipped with parking lots, rest rooms, restaurants and souvenir shops selling local products.
③Visit warehouse of the business magnate
-You will go to the huge warehouse where used to be owned by a merchant who made a property by brewing miso and soy sauce.
-Traditional Kitakata ramen at the ramen store which has long history.
-Local cuisine at old house style restaurant
⑤Unique storehouse style temple
-After the temple was destructed by a big fire, early people rebuilt it with using storehouse construction.
Although Japan has a lot of temples, it is not easy to find such temple in other parts of Japan.
⑥Visit soy sauce berewery concist from brick.
Sake brewery which is established in Edo period.
-Soy sauce brewery:
This storehouse is very unique one in Japan.
Tree of persimmon and brick is used for this storehouse in order to protect from the fire disaster.
Because the tree of persimmon was expensive, only wealthy merchant could buy it, and make this type of storehouse.
Perhaps, you can taste soy sauce which is just made at this storehouse.
Taste Sake in brewery!
You will visit the sake brewery making Sake more than 200 years. Fresh, clear, and pure water overflows outside the brewery and you will understand the reason why the Sake which is made from this brewery is so delicious when you see the water.
Also, the guide will kindly teach you how they make sake.
⑥Traditional Japanese confectioner
- Relax and enjoy wagashi sweets of yokan (jellied dessert made of adzuki bean paste), manju (steamed bun) and many others at a shop build by KURA style with irori, sunken floor hearth.
⑦Appreciation of the lacquerware, which is the special product of Aizu and Kitakata area / Shopping
- Handmade by craftsperson, admire beauty of Aizu shikki, lacquer ware painted with region's original techniques. You can also create your own -paint furin (wind-bell), hand mirror, chop sticks or uchiwa (fan) with one of Aizu shikki technique called maki-e.
* Tour schedule may change should you wish to try maki-e.
3PM/4PM Tour concludes at Kitakata station. Your guide will take you back to Kitakata station.
■Pricing (per person):
1 person: 33,750 yen
2 persons: 17,500 yen
3 persons: 12,100 yen
4 persons: 9,400 yen
5 persons: 7,800 yen
6 persons: 6,700 yen
-This brewery has history for approximately 300 years. This brewery let Sake listen Mozart for the first time in Japan.
After many attempts, they choose this method to make good Sake.
This method is very unique in Japan.
Successive cedar tree form a line under the eaves.
Also, this scene is hard to find in Japan.
Rice crackers shop.
-Visit rice crackers shop which has over 100 years history. Let's experience making rice crackers.
They have an unique rice cracker which is called ramen rice crackers..?
*Pricing: please inquire us.
Tour StyleAvailable language: English
Group SizeMin. 1 person
Max. 6 persons
(Please inquire us for a party of 7 or more.)
What's Included- Guide
- Admission fee to facilities
- Bicycle rental fee
What's not Included- Transportation fee to/from meeting point
- Food and beverage
- Entrance fee for a hot spring
Tour TipsBooking process
1. Please contact us for availability and pricing through ‘BOOK IT’ button below.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 1 business day.
3. Payment request will be sent.
4. Reservation will be confirmed upon payment is received. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
Payment method: Paypal, wire transfer, and bitcoin
*Payment needs to be made in advance
Reservations may be cancelled without a charge up to 8 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 3 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 7 days and 3 day: 30% of the program charge
- Between 2 days and 1 day: 80% of the program charge
- Less than a day or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time in JST