Visiting a Local Farmer and Mochi Making Tour in Shiga
IntroductionHome Visit and Mochi Rice Cake Making!
-Discovering sacred water sites of a traditional village-
Experience Japanese farm life by visiting terraced rice fields and an old farmhouse in Ogino-sato village where the villagers have protected the water sources as well as the rivers and lake for generations. The spirit of a community co-existing with nature and its clean water is still kept vibrant.
The farmhouse couple demonstrates Mochi rice cake making following the traditional method using locally harvested rice. Participants are welcome to join in! Enjoy freshly made Mochi rice cakes with a variety of toppings. You can also take a stroll surrounded by the beautiful view of rice terraces and Lake Biwa as well as visit the local shrine. The village community has owned these rice fields for over 1300 years giving rise to unique forms of local rain and water worship.
In the afternoon, participants of one-day tour will visit Ogoto hot spring resort, where the water quality is famous for its skin beautifying properties.
◆Half-day Tour (Price per person)
Adult: 14,800 yen
Children 9,100 yen (between 6 and 11 years old. 5 or under is free. )
◆One-day Tour (Price per person)
Adult: 18,200 yen
Children 12,500 yen (between 6 and 11 years old. 5 or under is free. )
Tour Style- Please note that there may be other participants.
- Programs are offered in English.
Meeting place: JR (Kosei-Line) Ogoto Onsen station
※Our tour conductor will meet and see you off at JR Ogoto Onsen Station. If you would like to arrange to be picked up at JR Kyoto Station, we can arrange it for an additional charge of 4,000 yen per group. Your train fare is not included in the tour price.
Group SizeMin. 2 persons
Max. 6 persons
DurationHalf-day tour: 3 hours (10am-1pm)
One-day tour 5 hours (10am-5pm)
Tour Itinerary10am start
- After a 20-minute train ride from JR Kyoto station, you will arrive at JR (Kosei-Line) Ogoto Onsen station .
Enjoy the train ride with countryside views.
- First, we will drive halfway up the mountain and stop to savor the pure and cold spring water, which has been traditionally protected by the locals.
- After taking a stroll through the rice terraces in the area, we will visit the local rice farmer’s house. There, we will experience exciting Mochi rice cake making. You can pound the steaming sticky rice into delicious Mochi rice cakes while enjoying the fun atmosphere of feeling like a child again.
- Rolling out Mochi rice cake while enjoying chatting with the farm owner.
Enjoy the freshly made Mochi with a variety of different toppings!
- Freshly pounded Mochi rice cake is soft and exceptionally delicious. We will be guests at the farmhouse for an enjoyable mealtime and can enjoy chatting further with the farmer and his wife to learn more about traditional Japanese lifestyles. This extraordinary experience and seeing a bit of Japanese daily life will make your trip an even more a memorable one.
For One-day Tour Participants;
In the afternoon, we will visit nearby Ogoto Hot Spring resort. You can pamper yourself with a leisurely soak in the natural hot spring waters, said to be good for both beauty and health (Private bath can be arranged at your request).
The water from Ogi village streams through an underground vein before emerging as hot spring water in Ogoto, a village at the foot of the mountains. It has been worshipped as a miraculous hot spring for curing people’s bodies for 1200 years.
- Returning to Kyoto with fond memories.
After the hot spring waters have washed away your fatigue, the staff at the Ryokan will accompany you to the JR Ogoto onsen train station for your short return journey to Kyoto.
What's Included- Taxi fare
- Lunch and mochi rice cake making
- English speaking tour conductor
- All taxes and services fees
For one-day tour participants:
- Hot spring bathing (A private bath can be available with additional 3,600 yen/ a group)
What's not Included- JR train fare
Tour TipsBooking process
1. Please contact us for availability through ‘BOOK IT’ button below.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 1 business day.
3. Payment request will be sent via Paypal.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Fees shall be paid through credit card/Paypal. You do not need to have a paypal account to pay with your credit card.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 11 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 10 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
10 days to 8 days prior to start date of tour in Japan: 20% of total price
7 days to 2 days prior to start date of tour in Japan: 30% of total price
1 day prior to start date of tour in Japan: 40% of total price
On the start date of the tour in Japan, during a tour, or no show: 100 % of total price
*Time is in JST.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.
- Every effort will be made to keep to the above itinerary, but we cannot make absolute guarantees! Changes to the itinerary will normally be made to introduce an improvement. Weather conditions, road and transport conditions, and the health of walkers can all contribute to changes. The guide will ensure that the trip runs according to plan, but an easy-going nature is an asset!