Visiting the Village of Washi Paper from Kyoto [Washi no Sato Tour] (SWA053)
Handmade Japanese paper, Washi is said to be the best gift which Nature had endowed the Japanese.We visit Washi no Sato (literally the village of washi Paper) where the traditional techniques and lifestyle remain vibrant. Visitors can make Washi paper and get the chance to come in contact with technique of the craftsman. Would you like to try and make your only one art by using Washi paper which is very popular as an art paper around the world.
Price per person
56,100 yen for 1 person
43,800 yen for 2 persons
39,700 yen for 3 persons
37,600 yen for 4 persons
Kids （age 6-11）: 18,900 yen/person
- Tour Style
- This is a short trip program.
- Some programs are not conducted on daily basis. Please ask us for availability first.
- Programs are offered in English, but other languages may be available. Please ask us for your desired language.
JR Kyoto Station (just the outside of central ticket gate-central concourse)
- Group Size
- 1~4 persons *Please ask us if your groups is 5 persons or more.
- 8 hours
- Tour Itinerary
- 7:15am start
JR Kyoto Station→JR Takefu Station→Echizen Washini no Sato→Papyrus Kan →Udatsu no Kogeikan→Washi no Sato Kaikan→JR Takefu Station→Lunch→JR Kyoto Station
Papyrus Kan provides experimental workshop for handmade Japanese paper ”Washi”. Visitors can make the original paper works such as card , coaster, name card and so on. With the help of staff, the making of Japanese paper is possible in approximately 30 minutes.
◆Udatsu no Kogeikan
This house used to be the paper making workshop in the middle of Edo period and was relocated and refurbished here. This is the only place in Japan where the craftsmen demonstrate their skills with using traditional tools. A traditional technique lives in the work to look simple at a glance, and a part of the elegant taste of the Japanese paper which has been developed with Japanese culture can be seen.
◆Washi no Sato Kaikan
Washi no Sato Kiakan is a museum focusing Washi. Visitors can learn the history of Echizen washi with a history of more than 1500 years from the exhibits of ancient documents and lifestyle of the people who were involved with paper making. In addition, it is felt that the Japanese traditional beauty that an innovative technology is made use of in the traditional technique and matched in the present age has been created.
- What's Included
- Guiding fee, Public transportation fee (For taxis or hired cars, additional fee will be charged.), Admission fee
- What's not Included
- Cost of meal and sightseeing activities
- Tour Tips
- Booking process
1. Please ask us for availability through ‘contact us’ form and make sure to write the number of participants, date, and time (for private program).
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 2 business days.
3. Payment request will be sent via Paypal.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Program fees shall be paid through Paypal. Currently, no other payment method is accepted.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 15 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 14 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 14 days and 3 days: 20% of the program charge
- 2 days in advance: 50% of the program charge
- Less than a day or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time is in JST.
- Please follow the guide's instruction during the program. We shall not be responsible for any accident caused by disregard of the instructions.
- Program duration is an estimate and is subject to change depending on the number of participants and/or conditions without prior notice.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.
- Deadline for booking a program is 5 business days prior to the program date.