Zen Meditation at Kyoto's National Treasure Temple
IntroductionYou will be visiting a temple that was founded in 1509 by the first chief priest Kogaku Soko Zenji, the Zen master.
Since its establishment, famous priests have inherited it for generations. The main building was left as it was originally founded and it remains as a National Treasure.
At this temple it has a wonderful Kare-sansui Garden (dry landscape garden).
It also has a Shoin (a study/drawing room) which was used as a Chashitsu (a tea room) where Sen-no-Rikyu and Hideyoshi Toyotomi (1537-1598), one of the most famous historical figures in the history of Japan, had tea together whilst enjoying the view of the rock garden. This encounter itself gives a tremendous value to this chamber, along with its architectural value.
【PLAN A】 You can enjoy the Zen rock garden and have traditional Japanese green tea with a special sweet.
Also you will be able to experience an authentic Zen meditation in this majestic atmosphere.
【PLAN B】 In addition to Plan A, you can enjoy a Shojin cuisine (Food that Buddhist monks eats) lunch.
※The Zazen is instructed directly by the priest or the Monk, but other guidance may be handled by other staff.
Price (per person)
12,000 yen for 1 person
6,000 yen for 2 persons
4,000 yen for 3 persons to 9 persons
3,400 yen for 10 persons or more
Starting from 10 persons or more: 6,700 yen per person
Tour Style- Private program
- Programs are offered in English
Meeting Place: After the confirmation the location's information will be sent.
The temple is around the Kinkakuji Temple area.
Group SizeMin. 1 person
Max. 20 persons
DurationPLAN A: 1 hour
PLAN B: 2 hours
Guided tour of the rock garden → Zazen experience → Tea ceremony
Guided tour of the rock garden → Zazen experience → Tea ceremony → Shojin cuisin lunch
What's Included- Guide Fee
- Zazen experience
- Tea ceremony
- Shojin cuisine lunch(for Plan B only)
What's not Included- Transportation fee
Tour TipsBooking process
1. Please ask us for availability through ‘BOOK IT’ form and make sure to write the number of participants and date.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 2 business days.?
3. Payment request will be sent.
4. Reservation is done upon receiving your payment. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Fees shall be paid through Credit Card. Currently no other payment method is accepted.
Reservations may be cancelled without charge up to 15 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 14 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 14 days and 8 days: 30% of the program charge
- Between 7 days and 3 days: 50% of the program charge
- 2 days : 80% of the program charge
- The day or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time is in JST.
- Please follow the guide's instruction during the program. We shall not be responsible for any accident caused by disregard of the instructions.
- Program duration is an estimate and is subject to change depending on the number of participants and/or conditions without prior notice.
- Please advise us if there are any religious or health restrictions, allergies, or any case where special care is needed when you ask us for availability.