2-Day Fishery Experience, BBQ, Cycling, and Local Homestay in Oku-Matsushima
Matsushima has had a long history as a sightseeing spot due to its beautiful landscape; however, this place is also known as a historically important location for being a base of the shogunate during the Sengoku (Warring States) period.
This area is deeply associated with Masamune Date, the samurai ruler of the Sendai region who was known as ”Dokuganryu” (one-eyed hero), as he could only see with one eye.
This area was loved by Masamune Date as an excellent port and hundreds of islands and sunken rocks in the area prevented invasion by enemies. (Thanks to these islands Matsushima suffered relatively little damage from tsunami which followed the big earthquake on March 11th, 2011) After Matsushima became a base of the Date family, they built a number of impressive facilities. One of them, Zuiganji Temple, is registered as National Treasure and is known as a symbol of Matsushima.
These are just pieces of a rich and fascinating story. It is recommended to actually visit and feel the beauty of Matsushima.
With our tours, you will be able to touch and feel not only the history of Matsushima, but also the beautiful landscape and local culture. Beauty of Japan tours include numerous local and exclusive experiences that are unforgettable and like no other tour.
- Interaction with locals through homestay and fishery experience
- Eat up fresh seafood BBQ
- Enjoy cycling in Oku Matsushima
3PM Pick up at Nobiru station
(About 40 minutes train ride from JR Sendai station.)
Then check-in at Minshuku, Japanese style inn, run by local fisherman family.
3:30PM-5:30PM Enjoy cycling in Oku-Matsushima (without a guide). See the beautiful local nature, lifestyle, and sightseeing spots, such as Jyomonmura village museum, Mt. Otakamori, and Saga Valley.
6PM Dinner with local family
- Enjoy fresh seafood dinner with local people! (with translation support)
- Rest yourself on the tatami mats
9:00AM-12:00PM Fishery experience
- Enjoy the local and traditional fishing experience with an instructor. Examples of experience include surf fishing, net fishing, basket fishing, etc.
*This experience is not available from January to March. A different tour will be arranged during this season.
12:30PM-1:30PM Seafood BBQ
- Eat up just-caught fresh seafood with BBQ.
2:00PM: End of tour
- You will have a ride to Nobiru station.
2:30PM-5:30PM: Walking tour with a guide in Matsushima at an additional fee.
Spots to visit:
- Zuiganji temple (National Treasure and Important Cultural Property)
- Godaido temple (Important Cultural Property)
- Entsuin temple
- Pine Tree of "Saigyo Modish" (if time allows)
*Pricing: please inquire us.
Tour StyleAvailable language: English
Group SizeMin. 2 person
Max. 5 persons
(Please inquire us for a party of 6 or more.)
What's Included- Guide
- Lunch on the second day
What's not Included- Transportation fee to/from meeting point
Tour TipsBooking process
1. Please contact us for availability and pricing through ‘BOOK IT’ button below.
2. We will check the availability and come back to you within 1 business day.
3. Payment request will be sent.
4. Reservation will be confirmed upon payment is received. Confirmation e-mail will be sent to you.
- Fees shall be paid through Credit Card. Currently no other payment method is accepted.
*Payment needs to be made in advance
Reservations may be cancelled without a charge up to 6 days prior to the program date.
Reservations cancelled less than 5 days before the program date will incur the following charges:
- Between 5 days and 1 day: 50% of the program charge
- Less than a day or no show: 100% of the program charge
*Time in JST